Monday, March 14, 2016

Minty Fresh Homemade Toothpaste

I have always been a strong advocate for clean teeth! Like 2 to 3 times a day brushing, I'm not gonna lie I suck at flossing but I'll even do that sometimes. Last week my 14 year old daughter, Guenivere, had a dentist appointment for a cleaning. Her cleaning took 3 1/2 minutes because her dental care is on point! After the hygienist told us that Guen's teeth are the cleanest she's ever seen on a 14 year old she had 27 minutes to fill up the appointment time so we got an intense lecture on teeth care.  Which included that toothpaste and mouth wash is poison. And we got the list of all the poisons in them (27 minutes is a really long time)

Every time I would brush my teeth after that I would stare accusingly at my toothpaste and silently ask 'why?? I thought you were good for me!' I have been on a journey of essential oil discovery recently so I figured I could just make my own damn toothpaste, so I did!



Enjoy!!
AnnaStacia




Super simple 4 ingredient recipe

3oz coconut oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Baking soda
15 drops Peppermint essential oil
5 Drops Orange essential oil

Peppermint for minty freshness, energy and for me acid reflux. And Orange for teeth whitening.




I melted the coconut oil a double boiler.




I took the oil off the heat and added the baking soda.




Stirring consistently for a few minutes, I added ice around the jar to help cool the coconut oil and help set it up with a good texture.




I let it cool some before I put the essential oils in.
(essential oil can loose some of their muchness if they are boiled or heated too much) 





Then in the fridge it goes for a few hours.







The hygienist also recommended that adults use kid size toothbrushes, so you can brush one tooth at a time and really get in there. So I got Cinderella and Guenivere got Ariel. 



I just dipped my toothbrush in and scooped out about a quarter sized ball. It was different not having bubbles but the flavor was fine and because of the oil it worked on my chapped lips at the same time ;) but once I was done my teeth felt very clean! If not even a bit whiter. I am looking forward to using this for a long period of time and seeing the long term differences. I am going to make a jar for Himself and Guen if she could ever give up her whitening Senosodine!


)O(


2 month Update
I am still using my homemade toothpaste, It is really amazing! I am still much happier with it then store bought toothpaste and even though I used have very sensitive teeth they really aren't so sensitive anymore, imagine that!









No comments:

Post a Comment