Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Orange Oil



It's been a few years now since I first started making my own oils. It's so easy and there are a million and one uses for them! Today my kids and I finally finished off the bag of mandarin oranges that we purchased so we made oil out of the peels. Just be sure to save your peels and put them in the fridge until you are ready to make it! You can do this with almost any herb, flower or fruit.

Items you will need:

Peels, herbs, or petals you would like to use.
Base oil. (coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) I used coconut oil this time around.
A glass or ceramic bowl or container.
Wooden spoon


First, let me start by saying that you should not use any metal of any kind while making your oils. It disrupts the "natural" aspects of your oils. Also, if you put your herbs, peels, or petals into a plastic ziploc bag first and use your rolling pin over them it will release the oils and you will have a much stronger oil in the end. 


That being said, lets get started! For the orange oil, you will want to make sure that you tear up the peels into small pieces, squishing them as you go. (This also helps release the oils)

Put them into your glass or ceramic bowl or container. I have this amazing glass tupperware set that works perfect, as you will want to securely cover your concoction while it sits. (You could also use a crock pot if you want to do a larger batch of anything) Just be sure you don't have a roast you need to make for awhile. 

Decide what carrier oil you would like to use. I've use Extra Virgin Olive Oil in the past, but wanted to try the Coconut Oil this time around. You will want to fill your bowl up, completely covering your peels, so that you have about an inch and a half to two inches of oil above the top of your peels.

Be sure to stir with your wooden spoon and press the orange down into the bowl to let out more of the oils. (unfortunately for me, half of my kitchen is still in California and I forgot to make sure I had a wooden spoon before starting) But, being the resourceful witch that I am, I just used my honey dipper, as it is wooden, and almost did a better job than my spoon in smashing up the peels.

Once everything is mixed well put the lid on your oil and place in a dark cool place for 7-10 days. 

Check on your oil every couple days, stirring with your wooden spoon. 

When the time is up you will want to strain your oil. Cheese cloth works best, but a wire strainer or sifter will work as well.  

Finally, put your oil in glass jars, bottles, or however you want to store it and Enjoy! You can use it later on so many holistic recipes, in your diffuser to make the house smell great, and in your magickal workings. 

Truth be told, I was more excited to make this today because I started getting little scout ants trying to squeeze through my back slider door. I will be mixing it with chili powder and using it as an insecticide. I've done this in the past and its worked really well. 

Here is a quick list I found at Organicfacts.net  about the benefits of orange oil:


With Love and Light
~Luminessa

No comments:

Post a Comment